Monday, March 28, 2011

Ch8: Development and Learning

Pg. 350 SES
I often hear people say that students that come from poor families aren't successful because of their socio-economic status or that they won't be successful because of their situation.  I wish people would stop labeling others and instead help the students in need to better their situation and in return better their development. I understand that sometimes we can't change everything but every little that we do helps.  Sometimes to help the students you have to get the parents involved. I'm sure things change at different grade levels, but me and my team would do house visits when we thought it would help the student.

Pg. 362 Classroom Climate
Speaking of things changing with grade levels, I was surprised to read that after the primary grades praise is not an effective reinforcer.  It does makes sense that younger children respond to praise because they want to please adults, but it also makes sense that as they get older they see praise as irrelevant unless it's linked to their progress.

2 comments:

  1. Nila, I think a better way educators could view the affect of SES on student achievement would be that the lack of resources available to low SES students hinders their progress. There are also students on the upper end of the SES spectrum that, due to lack of parental caring, also lack educational resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nila, I agree that some teachers consider that poorer students will not achieve their full potential, but there are a lot of teachers who believe their students will be productive no matter what their SES. The main thing I have noticed about working in a title one campus, is that they do not have all the resource that richer districts have. I also have noticed that extra curricular activities get pulled from kids in a low SES districts. The fun is taken out of their education, so that they can pass a test.

    ReplyDelete